Colonial Office: West India Royal Commission, 1938 to 1939
- IDENTITY STATEMENT AREA
- Reference code(s): CO 950
- Title: Colonial Office: West India Royal Commission, 1938 to 1939
- Date(s): 1938 - 1939
- Level of description: Series
- Extent and medium of the unit of description: 961 files and volumes
- CONTEXT AREA
- Name of creator(s): West India Royal Commission, 1938-1939
- Administrative/Biographical history: The Commission was appointed under the chairmanship of Lord Moyne, to investigate social and economic conditions in Barbados, British Honduras, Jamaica, the Leeward Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, and the Windward Islands, and matters connected herewith.
Evidence was taken in three parts (i) in London, (ii) on tour in the West Indies, and, (iii) in London on return from tour.
- Archival history:
- Immediate source of acquisition or transfer:
- CONTENT AND STRUCTURE AREA
- Scope and content: This series contains records of the West India Royal Commission comprising working papers of the Commission, oral and written evidence submitted, and Commission Secretariat circulars to members
- Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
- System of arrangement:
- CONDITIONS OF ACCESS AND USE AREA
- Conditions governing access:
- Conditions governing reproduction:
- Language/scripts of material: English
- Physical characteristics:
- Finding aids: PRO Online Catalogue (PROCAT)
- ALLIED MATERIALS AREA
- Existence and location of originals:
- Existence and location of copies:
- Related units of description: For records of the West Indies Development and Welfare Organisation, set up as a result of the commission, see PRO Online Catalogue (PROCAT) series: CO 1042.
- Publication note: The report of the Commission was published in 1945 as Cmd 6607.
- DESCRIPTION CONTROL AREA
- Recorder's note:
- Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
- Date(s) of descriptions: December 2001
Interest: Caribbean, Black, Asian,
- Economic and social development
- Colonial countries
- Personal/Corporate names
- West India Royal Commission, 1938-1939
- Moyne, Lord, Walter Edward Guinness, 1880-1944
- Windward Islands
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Leeward Islands